Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 160: Tomorrow is Closing!

Today is Day 160. Its the final day of the fourth 40-day period in this home building journey. The first period was hard because I was so eager to get started only to have to wait. The second period was a little better because there was something to see during this time but, still required patience. In the third period, the building caught up to my excitement with its daily changes and the surrealism of it all. But this last period has been the best. I've gotten to see my house become a home made with all of the details I picked out. It's a place I am proud to call my home and I am looking forward to moving my family in and live the life I envisioned us living here.

People often look at you like you need your head examined when you mention you're going to build a house. I can honestly say it's been the best decision I've made. KB Home makes the process easy and enjoyable from day one to day 160.

I've been able to appreciate every piece of lumber, drywall, nail, etc. that has gone into my home. My kids started a "scrapbox" (if you will) of all the pieces of material we found. It has a bit of everything from nails to copper wire to a bit of shingle to a siding sample. There's a bit of marble, some foam, a cabinet scrap and so much more. Every bit we saw go in, knew what it was for and can appreciate its piece of this 3D puzzle that has become our new home.

If you baulk at the notion of building, just remember you give up the opportunity to reap the riches that come with the experience. My kids and I have many memories now, ones I'm sure they will tell their own kids about one day. And, I like knowing where my pipes and water lines are. I like knowing where my studs are without having to use a stud finder. I like knowing that I know my home from the inside out. I took pictures of it all! One day, if I ever move, I'll be able to provide the new owner with a wealth of information about their house.

That said, here is my final update before I close tomorrow:

I had my final walk-thru today with Raymond. All the paint touch ups were done. There were only a few things left to be done such as adding a piece of bullnose molding to the bathroom cabinet, restaining part of the railing, and then just going over things that were on the list to be fixed. They got it all knocked out!

There is only one more thing that needs done and that was installing the water filter by the kitchen sink.  Pur is supposed to get doing that in the morning. 

Overall, the house looks so beautiful! I can't wait to get the keys tomorrow!

No comments: