Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 136: Meeting About Granite Leads to Changes

This morning I met with Cade Horton, the Regional Operations Manager for KB, along with Rob and Branden from Summit Stoneworks, and Raymond to discuss the granite that was installed. Mr. Horton was able to shed some light in that the samples were switched out after I made my final selections. Consequently, from there, there was a failure to communicate to me about the change. The Summit Stoneworks guys didn't mention a whole lot. They suggested an alternate granite, but it wasn't on my color scheme's radar.
 
Mr. Horton offered for me to reselect my choice for countertops and backsplash. While I'm heartsick that I cannot get the Delicatus granite, I'm thankful he was so helpful in his offer to make it right.  He recommended the Colonial Cream granite that was in the kitchen showroom. After lunch, Mom and I went down to the design studio to have a look, however it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I'm still set on the black and white contrast "look". Perhaps its hard to make a change when you've been planning on having something a certain way for half a year.
 
We browsed through all of the granite, but didn't really see anything in white other than a piece that had purple veining. When I consider the possibility of ever selling my home, would the new buyers want purple countertops?  Eh. No.  Overall I wasn't gaga over any of the granite.

So, then we looked at the Silestone and I did like one. It's a quartz product called Eco and is made by Cosentino, the makers of Silestone. The one I liked is called Polar Cap and it's pure white. It sparkles yet isn't as flashy as granite, but it's also not as difficult to maintain. It's made from 75% recycled materials such as mirror, glass, porcelain, ceramics and vitrified ash. Even 94% of the water used in its manufacturing process is re-used. It's non-porous which makes it ideal for areas where the kids will be. Im also impressed that it doesn't give off any radon like granite does.
 
 


The reason I liked it was because of my initial visit to the KB Home Studio when I went to pick out my initial options. The design kitchen had the Eco countertops in the crystal ash color, a gray with tiny bits of sparkle, which I later learned was from the bits of mirror used in its production. It was, however, unavailable at the time (and still is today). But today, they had the white Polar Cap in the design kitchen and of course, white is the color I have been wanting all along. After seeing that there wasn't a granite that I loved, this was my next favorite in line from the Delicatus. Im happy it was here today or Im not sure what I would have done. Perhaps God knows that, with kids, I needed something that can withstand all of the abuse we'll be throwing at it.


 
 
Next, I picked a new backsplash by Emser Tile called Lucente Stone Blends Servolo glass mosaic. It features clear and matte glass with quartz stone, adding a bit of gold/copper sparkle to it.  It should look amazing with my expresso cabinets and will bring the warmth of the wood flooring up into the room. Even though pictures do not do these two justice, at all, watch in the following weeks for pictures of the countertops and backsplash to be installed. 
 
I have to say that today Mr. Horton, on behalf of KB Home, definitely showed me that they do care about their customers. They were willing to make it right, and in doing so, I continue to be a very happy customer who is equally as proud to have chosen KB Home as my first time home builder.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: