Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Granite Saga

Part of the reason I decided to build a home was so that I could have a say in all of the finishing touches. Where does a family spend most of their time? In the kitchen! So, with that in mind, I opted for the lower, extended flush countertop so that we could have ample space to do crafts and science experiments and baking and all of the kinds of things that we do as a family, in that kitchen.

Im building a home that I had hoped to create a place where my children and I could create wonderful new memories. We've been through a lot and the new space is a fresh start.  I had those thoughts in my head when I made my selections at the KB Home Studio. Afterall, this is Built-to-Order, not Built-to-Sell. I should get everything I ordered without question.

 
It's my sentiment that I should be gaga, head over heels, super pleased with all it. And if one supplier can't deliver, why aren't they using another? Why isn't Summit Stoneworks updating their samples? And why did they have me pick my choices 4 months before they even ordered it?? Maybe buyers need to be able to select their slabs instead of relying on a sample from who knows when. I do recall that Jennifer, my designer, had told me certain ones weren't available, and 1 or 2 had been marked as such, but the ones I was choosing from were available. They only thing I was told was that there could be variations in the veining of the stone. I understand that. But an entirely different product is not in that description.

Here is the image Summit Stoneworks shows as 'Delicatus' on their website:


 
 
That sure looks similar to the sample I saw at the studio. This is not what they installed in my home.
 
And this is a image of what Arctic Cream looks like, taken from another granite supplier's website:
 
 

See the creamy, beige background and the black veins? That is what I was given.


Here is a closeup of the granite that was installed in my home:



Compare this granite to my walls, which are not white but are actually Sherwin Williams' "Softer Tan". This granite is so dark it makes my walls look white!



This will not go with my white backsplash, that's for sure! There isn't any white in this stone at all!


Now this is Delicatus:












 

No comments: