Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 25: Urbana Antique

For the past week all I've thought about, in my free time, has been about the design and décor of my home. What do I want it to look like? How do I want it to function? What do I want my home to say to people who see it or who visit? What does it need to impress me, make me comfortable and make me happy?
 
Cabinets.
Countertops.
Backsplash.
Fixtures.
Carpet.
Tile.
Wood/laminate.
Paint.
Trim.
Brick.
Insulation.
 
Just to name a few. My options packet is about 50 pages! When you daydream about building a house, it's a lot of overzealousness and the best of everything. When you actually do it, it's a bit more intense. By about a thousand. However, it's very exciting, too!
 
Most of the choices were easy to consider, visualize and make a selection on such as the gorgeous granite I treated myself to or the upgrade from pedestal sink to cabinet in the powder room. Other things were not as clear and required some thought (and even gazing at a zillion pictures online and on my phone) like flooring and fixture colors.
 
Then there were big things like brick. When you go into the design studio, they only have 4 rows of brick in these 12×24 frames. I don't know about you, but a house is huge! Visualizing a small swatch of brick on a big house is not easy, for me anyway. On top of that, try to picture what color paint and trim you want, too. Impossible!
 
I drove around and around, took pictures, talked to people, sent Jennifer a gazillion emails, and even dragged my kids and mom out to help. Brick looks different in the sun as opposed to in the shade. What looks red in the shade may look brown in the sun. It kept playing tricks on my mind.
 
I am drawn to neutral colors. I've found three brown bricks that I could settle with. Bricks with names like Mojave and Canyon Springs. Then there is this really interesting variety with a lot of color that I'm drawn to, Fall Creek. It is pretty, however, I'm not a flashy type of person. I just can't pull the trigger on a brick already overly popular in my neighborhood.
 
It took a lot of struggle, thought and frustration but I really didn't decide until yesterday (okay... today). I took one more trip around the neighborhood looking at my favorites. This time I was able to get out and go see it up close and in both, the sun and shade, at the same time. That's when I knew it was the one.
 
 
 
Urbana Antique. This is it!


 

Here's the variations in the coloring from sunlight to shade. Near where the fence meets the house, some sunlight is able to partly lighten the bricks there, leaving part in the shade. You can see how much the coloring changes. This is why I've struggled with picking brick this week. Houses all face different directions, when you see one in the shade and another in the sunlight, they look completely different even though they have the same brick. I urge you, if you're driving around looking at brick, too, to make sure you see the same house and same brick in sun as well as shade because one or the other just might change your mind. You have to live with your brick for a long time and be happy with it, be able to choose new paint colors (when the time comes) and landscape with it as a background.

I couldn't be more relieved and ready to move onto the next phase. Now, tomorrow, I can go to my Final Pick Day and select all of the things I've been visualizing all week. It will be nice to make it all official. That will be a huge relief! And, having this done, Thanksgiving will be much less stressful, much more peaceful.
 
Watch for pics coming tomorrow!

No comments: